It was the first place in Britain to be designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in 1956, something not lost on the ancient peoples.
The military road (herepath) has a characteristic form that is seen throughout the Quantock Hills. It is a twenty-meter wide track that runs between avenues of trees growing from hedge laying embankments. The herepath ran from the ford on the River Parrett at Combwich to Triscombe Stone. One branch may have led back to Alfred's base at Athelney. The main branch descended the hills at Triscombe, then along the avenue to Red Post Cross, and west to the Brendon Hills and Exmoor.
The Quantock Common was a royal hunting ground and Alfred's palace at Cheddar was used as his hunting lodge. It was at this time that the area received its name, when it was called Quantock Woods, and the churches, villages and manors were created.
The Quantock Hills is now part-owned by the National Trust and the military road is a walking trail. There are thousands of annual visitors and hikers a year. Maybe that's something else we can thank the Vikings for.